Monday, October 12, 2009

BD: KIT FIELD TESTED

I was just going over the disc with the images from the '10 Harley Launch in Aus and noting how well my gear worked.

The weather forecast for Geelong and the Great Ocean Road was '4 seasons in one day' so I took the wet suit.

I reckon my new helmet is simply fabulous. Arai Chaser Phil Read Replica. Most of the other Journos on the ride asked or commented on it. Comfortable and a real pleasure to wear. A beautiful thing.

The Rev-it jacket did the business through a few heavy showers too. Warm and comfortable throughout the ride. Motomail has a range of them and they appear to be pretty good value for money. There is a review here.

The Harley FXR Boots worked really well too - They proved waterproof and feet stayed nice and dry and with good comfort on and off the bikes. Sturdy rubber soles. Get them from AMPS at $230ish retail not bad value either. Harley do have an excellent range of boots.

I wore a $25 (from motomail) pair of lightweight plastic pants over Rev-it leather 'Canyon' jeans. They (jeans) have been really good too, over 4 years and a pretty decent crash and the linings are still intact. My black leather suit that I use in KR a lot is 4 years old now. It's still in good order apart from a few battle scars.

I did tear the daylights out of the Overpants on a XR1200X hero peg as we were getting ready for the last leg of the ride so had no option but go for the gaffer tape look.

We calls it 'Star quality'. But for $25 I got 2 seasons out of them and will have no hesitation going with them again. They roll up small enough to go under the seat and are a good option over the top of leather.

Lou Martin pics.

  © Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP